Saturday, January 16, 2016

Shakshuka

Shakshuka

I recently went to Israel and had the time of my life. Besides making tons of friends and feeding my spirituality, I fed my stomach too. Here is a look at some of the amazing food I had:

Bourekas

Halvah

Kubaneh




A whole Bedouin spread

Date bar and baklava



An Israeli Moroccan feast prepared by my birthright group (I worked on the spicy Moroccan fish)



And most of all Shakshuka



I don't think I achieved the same quality as the shakshuka I ate in Israel, but I will keep on trying. Here is the base recipe.

1. Chop all your veggis including: 

  • 5 cloves of garlic (I used only 3 and it was not garlicky enough, may 6-7)
  • 2-3 shallots (one of my shallots fell so I couldn't use it. You can also use an onion)
  • 1.5 fresh tomatoes
  • 0.5 red bell pepper
  • 1 red chili pepper without the seeds
Also have the following ready:
  • Smoked paprkia
  • Salt & pepper
  • Harissa
  • Eggs
  • 15 ounce can of crush tomatoes
 



2. Heat up a pan with a little olive oil.
3. Cook your garlic and shallots on medium high until they are translucent. Add some salt and pepper as well.
 
4. Add the rest of your veggis and the crushed tomatoes.







5. Season with 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, a 1.5 tablespoons of harissa, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Make sure you try the sauce and approve it before you move on. Let the sauce cook for 5-10 minutes

6. Reduce the heat so that the sauce is at a simmer. Add the eggs one at a time. I like to crack the eggs one at a time into a ladle that has been pressed into the sauce. This gives me a chance to take out any shells that might have come off the eggs. If there are no shells, I then carefully turn the egg into the sauce.
7. Repeat with all the eggs.

 8. Cover and let the eggs cook for 5-10 minutes depending on what consistency you want. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment