Monday, April 6, 2015

Breaded Tofu

Breaded Tofu

 

Another vegetarian dish that makes me think for a second about becoming vegetarian... Don't worry, I love chicken too much. What I am about to share is more of a process than a recipe. Feel free to make it your own.

1. First you have to press the liquid out of your tofu. I showed you how to do this here on the Vegetable Tofu Spread recipe.

2. Cut the tofu in half on the long dimension, then into little slabs about as thick as my finger on what is now the longest dimension.

3. Marinate your tofu in whatever sauce you like. I would recommend a thicker sauce like Soy Vay. I marinated the tofu for 24 hours, but a few hours should be fine.

3. Set up your dredging station and your cooking pan (or in my case a whole stove-top griddle). You may also try baking or frying the tofu as well.

I haven't tried frying tofu, but I have baked it before. What helps when baking any breaded food is to put the breaded food on top of a wire rack that is sitting on a baking pan. This allows hot air circulation all around.

Put eggs in one flat and shallow container and panko bread crumbs in another. You'll need about two large eggs per tofu container. Whisk the eggs very well.

I would preheat your pan. When it is hot enough, Pam it and beginning the dredging process.


3. Place a piece of tofu into the eggs making sure it is well coated.


4. Place the egged tofu into the panko dish and coat it well. Feel free to use your hands to place pack panko on top.

5. Place the breaded tofu on what should be a hot pan and Pam the top of the Tofu with more Pam.

6. Here is where it gets tricky. Flip when the side on the pan starts to brown. You may have to lift a piece up to see if it browned.


If you are doing multiple batches, make sure you Pam the pan generously. Once all your tofu is cooked, you are done.

The recipe is so much more delicious than you would think. Try it today... or tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment